- information about ITS and its units.
- your digital identity at Penn State, provides access to many IT services.
Access Account Password Management
- guidance on managing your Access Account password for better security.
- a suite of tools that facilitates collaborative group experiences over the Internet.
Access Security Representatives (ASR)
- liaisons between University units and the AIS Security Office.
Accessible Web Site Design
- considerations, guidelines and resources for accessible web design.
Account Information Management System (AIMS)
- allows faculty to access financial status of their sponsored project accounts.
- information about Penn State Access Accounts and other accounts needed to access University services.
Administrative Information Services (AIS)
- a unit of Information Technology Services.
Adobe Connect Community
- Support and forum for users of Adobe Connect, a collaboration tool that includes videoconferencing, application sharing, live polling, chat, whiteboards, and presentations
- advisories on viruses, ITS service maintenance, changes, upgrades, and outages.
Alumni related services
- services related to alumni information such as memberships, pledge data, and stewardship.
ANGEL course management system
- an application enabling instructors to manage course materials, communication, quizzing, and grading from one online location
- how to protect yourself from computer viruses.
- e-mail redirection tool for web site management.
- resources for individuals with disabilities.
- a service that provides a permanent toll-free 800 conferencing number for on-demand audio conference calls.
Automatic e-mail reply message utility
- tool for creating an auto-reply that will respond to e-mail received while you're away or unavailable.
- Tivoli Storage Manager (TSM) file backup and archive service for departments, faculty and staff.
Blogs at Penn State
- Providing a publishing platform to the Penn State Community
Building Blocks for Teams
- shows how to effectively incorporate teamwork into courses.
- ability to maintain citical University services and functions during or after an event which may cause an outage or disruption.
Business Intelligence (BI)
- an effort to improve delivery of administrative information.
- installation and maintenance of TV cable service in the departments and colleges at University Park.
Cabling and Wiring
- provision of wires/cables that carry voice, video, and data transmissions.
- Oracle Collaboration Suite Calendar, available to University employees and departments.
Call Center Services
- Penn State's directory assistance and answering services for departments.
Central ID Repository (CIDR)
- contains biographical information used by various University systems.
Classroom and Lab Computing
- Linux, Macintosh, and Windows labs on campus.
Computer labs, current use
- allows you to see how busy any lab on campus is.
- contact information for vendors offering computer repair.
- a variety of services and tools for teaching, learning, research, and administrative tasks.
- equipment and software at low academic prices.
Consulting and Support Services (CSS)
- a unit of Information Technology Services (ITS) that provides Help Desks and other support services to faculty, students, and staff.
- policies and laws pertaining to copyright.
Course On-Line Account (COLA)
- provides faculty with web space for course development and presentation.
Course On-Line Account (COLA), how to restrict access to
- how to restrict a course directory so that only the class members can view the contents.
Crafting Questions for Online Discussions
- advantages, strategies, and examples pertaining to online discussions.
- helping students to avoid plagiarism.
- provides access to institutional data.
Database service for courses
- allows instructors to request database space for each student in a course.
Database service for research and instruction
- provides University employees, instructors, and researchers with access to database space.
- computer-based technology combining both voice and video into an interactive format.
Dial-up modem access
- a service that enables computer users to connect to network and Internet services using a modem and phone line.
Digital Library Technologies (DLT)
- a unit of ITS that supports the online University library systems.
- digital storage of documents for more efficient retrieval, sharing, and storage.
Domain Name Service (DNS)
- resolves network names into Internet Protocol (IP) addresses.
- central repository for software commonly used at Penn State.
Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol Service (DHCP)
- a method for devices to dynamically set network configuration parameters.
- information and instructions for using e-mail at Penn State.
- forward your e-mail to another address
E-mail lifetime address for alumni
- a free, lifetime digital identity called Friends of Penn State (FPS).
E-Mail tips and strategies for faculty
- methods to facilitate communication and help manage e-mail from and to students and others.
E-mail with a Plus
- allows you to create an almost limitless number of e-mail addresses--all of which get delivered to you.
- use personal Web space to publish a portfolio online.
- initiative to replace the current EASY forms with Web-based forms, workflow, and streamlined role management.
- online payment processing technology for University departments.
Education Technology Services (ETS)
- A blog of news and project information from ETS, part of ITS, with comments welcome
Educational Gaming Commons
- community that supports gaming within the teaching, learning, and research environment.
Electronic Document Distribution System (eDDS)
- a tool that enables the user to access and view reports on the Web.
Electronic Integrated Student Information System (eISIS)
- provides University employees with a Web interface to student data.
Electronic Theses and Dissertations (eTD)
- allows theses and dissertations to be submitted and archived electronically.
- provides access to academic records, grades, class schedules, transcripts, financial aid, advising services, and more.
Emergency Contact Information System (ECIS)
- provides emergency contact information collected from students and employees.
- a division of ITS that investigates new information technologies in support of Penn State's mission.
Enabling Technologies Group
- responsible for core systems and applications serving the University.
Enterprise Information System (EIS)
- tool for answering questions about enrollments, admissions and other related University information.
- cost-recovery technology products and services in response to the needs of the Penn State community.
Ethical and Legal Use of Digital Media
- a guide to using digital media ethically and legally.
- a list of IT resources provided by organizations other than ITS.
- information technology resources helpful to faculty.
File transfer options
- secure options for file transfer.
Financial Information Tool (FIT)
- client/server tool for performing management functions using IBIS Financial Data.
- a division of ITS that provides internal financial support services.
Firewall configuration instructions
- (University employee login required) servers/IP listing for firewall configuration to permit access to University services.
- recommendations on how to use firewalls for computer security.
Friends of Penn State (FPS) Account
- provides a digital identity for people outside of Penn State to access the University's Web-based applications.
- facilitates the exchange of information between differing computer systems through the use of the XML.
Grade management with Excel
- tips and techniques for using Excel to manage grades.
- walk-in, phone, and electronic consulting services for the University community.
High Performance Computing Group
- a division of ITS that works to empower scholars in their ability to compute and manage data.
- allows configuration of IMAP email clients to use SSL for secure connections.
Immersive Environments Lab (IEL)
- facilitates the effective use of VR techniques in the design arts and other disciplines.
Information Privacy and Security (IPAS)
- a University-wide mission to enhance the data security practices at Penn State.
Information Systems Directory
- Content from this directory has been moved into PAWS.
- ITS employee Web site (login required).
- a method for connecting Enterprise-wide and Internet services to the Border Router.
Integrated Business Information Systems (IBIS)
- business applications and systems to provide financial and human resource information.
Integrated Student Information System (ISIS)
- a database containing student information.
- how to access Internet services such as the web, e-mail, and networks at Penn State.
Internet Security Scanner (ISS)
- a software tool used to identify systems that are susceptible to certain vulnerabilities.
iStudy for Success!
- student study skills modules that can be incorporated into an ANGEL course or group.
- academic services funded by the Information Technology Fee.
- assist Penn State's colleges, departments and campuses in reviewing their use of ITS services.
Jobs in ITS
- information about part-time and full-time employment.
- search for answers to technology questions
LAN Design, Installation, Modification, and Maintenance Services
- LAN design, installation, modification, and maintenance.
Language Interpretation Services
- provides access to an interpreter for phone communications.
Legal use of software
- guide on legal use of software.
- access to Penn State's library collection and electronic resources.
Linux computer labs
- lab information, locations, equipment and hours.
- Penn State goods for less, including computers and office supplies.
- system for managing e-mail lists for group discussion or announcements.
Media & Technology Support Services (MTSS)
- provides instructional support through a film and video collection, classroom support services, and equipment repair service.
- supports the integration of digital media to enhance teaching and learning.
Mentoring Students Online
- on-line mentoring techniques to guide, support and enhance the student learning process.
Microsoft Departmental Agreement FAQ
- questions and answers about the Microsoft software licensing rules.
Microsoft Key Management Server (KMS)
- a part of the Microsoft Volume Activation 2.0 solution and is used to activate volume licensed Microsoft products like Windows Vista and Windows Server 2008.
- Ethernet jacks on campus where you can plug in a personal laptop or other computer and get a high-speed connection.
Multicultural Enhanced Learning for Diversity (MELD)
- provides a rich mix of cultural, international, gender, and lifestyle perspectives for integration into courses.
National LambdaRail (NLR)
- a higher education research network offering robust bandwidth and resources for unprecedented access to networking and research technologies.
- a multi-session manager which allows users to have multiple applications active at the same time, for AIS system users.
Network of People
- a group of University employees who support information technology services at Penn State's colleges, departments, and campuses.
Network problem reporting
- information on requesting help or reporting network problems.
- links to backbone, Internet, LAN, laptop ports, and other network services.
- ITS news sources
Online phone directories
- student, faculty, staff, and department directories.
- pictorial representation of ITS organization.
- Penn State Access Account Storage Space.
Penn State Administrative Web Suite (PAWS)
- single launch point for administrative functions and applications.
Penn State Learning Design Community Hub
- a place where Penn State staff and instructors working with instructional technology can communicate and collaborate
Penn State Portal
- your personalized view of University and Internet resources.
Penn State Stewardship Program (eSteward)
- provides data needed for management and stewardship of donor gifts with the scholarship and program endowments/accounts.
Penn State Thesis Template
- a software package that helps writers format their thesis to meet the requirements of the Graduate School.
- how to recognize fraudulent e-mail requests for personal information.
Phone directory overview
- information about the Penn State's online phone directories, including how to update personal information or request confidentiality.
- links to phone information and services.
- dymanic Web content service for using PHP Hypertext Preprocessor technology.
Podcasts at Penn State
- A pilot podcasting service for Penn State
- University and ITS policies related to information technology.
- (login required) troubleshooting utility that allows you to view the contents of your mailbox on the server.
- restricted access to certain ports connecting Penn State to the Internet.
Printing from administrative systems
- questions and answers about printing from AIS systems.
Printing in student computing labs
- information about printing in ITS Windows and Macintosh labs.
- policies and information pertaining to privacy issues at Penn State.
- caches large Web files locally, decreasing Internet traffic and increasing page download speeds.
- support for the publication of books, theses, dissertations, and web sites.
- annual reports, strategic plans, and related information.
- the GEaRS group, a division of ITS, strives to meet the computing technology needs of scholars in their education and research endeavors.
Residence hall technical support
- technical support for residential computing.
- tips on how to stay safe while using computers and the Internet.
- Overview and tutorials on SAS.
- design, installation, and maintenance of satellite downlink systems.
- Text and graphics scanners available at University Park.
SCOLA - Television from around the World community
- programming from around the world in a variety of languages for use by instructors, including streamed videos and Insta-Class materials
Script test server
- a server provided by ITS for testing and debugging of cgi scripts.
- how to manage passwords for optimum security.
Secure Shell Protocol (SSH)
- information about SSH, software that enables secure remote access of another computer.
- part of a two-level authentication process to access centralized administrative systems.
Security problem reporting
- guidelines on reporting computer security incidents.
- how to keep your computer operating system up to date for optimum security.
- systems where you can activate your Access Account using your Penn State photo ID.
Site Index Generator
- tool for producing a site index through a simple Web interface (this one was produced using it).
- requires users to enter their password before being allowed to send messages to improve security.
- how to stay safe when using online social networks.
Software installation requests
- instructors may request that Classroom and Lab Computing install software on lab and technology classroom machines.
- get software at no cost or low educational prices.
- unsolicited commercial e-mail (UCE), a.k.a. unsolicited bulk e-mail (UBE). Generally, they are e-mails advertising a product for sale or a paid service.
- recommendations for protecting against spyware, a type of software that secretly transmits information about your online activities and the data stored on your computer.
- secure Thawte server certificates for secure Internet transactions are available for colleges and departments at a low group rate.
- administrative and other services useful to Penn State staff.
- options for storing private files and files to be shared with others.
Strategic Plan, ITS
- plan to address the needs of Penn State students, faculty, and staff.
- enabling the process of transferring audio and visual information from a server to a Web browser in a steady and continuous stream.
Student Jump Start Guide
- a guide to information technology for new students.
Student learning resources
- resources to enhance student learning.
- index of student clubs at Penn State.
- this page features popular IT services for students.
- Penn State teaching support units that can offer help to faculty, instructors, and teaching assistants with the integration of technology into the classroom.
Surveys, information technology
- results of surveys on information technology use at Penn State.
Syllabus, Tips for an Effective
- suggestions and Penn State policy information about constructing and using a course syllabus
Symposium for Teaching and Learning with Technology
- Annual event and year-round online discussion of ways that faculty are using technology to enhance teaching, learning, and research.
- offers tips on how to protect your digital identity and your computer.
- revised and expanded parts of the U.S. Copyright Law governing faculty use of copyrighted materials
Teaching and Learning with Technology
- supports and promotes creative and innovative uses of technology in courses to enrich the educational experience
Teaching sites, arts & humanities
- collection of Web sites that present content from the arts and humanities in unique ways.
Teaching with databases
- tips on incorporating database concepts into the classroom
Teaching with Technology Certificate
- program for graduate teaching assistants to showcase their use of technology in teaching
- a summary of news about information technology at Penn State.
- offer podium workstations, student workstations, videoconferencing, or portable technology.
Technology Jump Start Guide
- Getting started with IT services at Penn State.
Technology Learning Assistants (TLAs)
- TLAs help Penn State faculty members use technology in their classes.
Telecommunications Access Fee
- supports the University's core network, connectivity and infrastructure services.
Telecommunications and Networking Services (TNS)
- a unit of Information Technology Services (ITS)
- for personal home pages.
Tips for Developing Non-English Web Sites
- help with putting non-English content on the Web.
- a division of ITS that provides IT learning opportunities.
Trusted Network Specifications
- security measures for administrative data.
- Web-based plagiarism detection and prevention system.
- UNIX workstations are available for faculty and student use.
UNIX, course-related services
- faculty can request UNIX services for each student in a course.
UNIX, research and instructional services
- provides instructors and researchers with UNIX services.
Use Technology Wisely
- tips on how to stay safe while using computers and the Internet.
User Services Conference
- intended for University employees who provide IT support at Penn State.
Using Cases in Teaching
- for instructors interested in incorporating case studies into curricula.
- Videoconferencing resources provided by ITS.
Virtual Machine Hosting
- virtual servers and Web hosting services.
Virtual Private Network (VPN)
- a secure encrypted network connection.
Virtual Reality (VR) resources
- facilities and support for VR systems, software and techniques.
- how to protect your files and computer from viruses and other threats.
- a division of ITS that provides facilities and consulting expertise in the areas of scientific and artistic visualization, digital animation, as well as digital media and hardcopy output.
Voice System Services
- voice system and design services.
- annual conference for Penn State Web professionals.
- server space, Web site design, Web applications, and content management solutions.
- a variety of services and resources offered at Penn State.
- Single sign-on solution for Web-based services that require authentication.
- a Plone content management system customized for Penn State use.
- anytime, anywhere access to your Penn State e-mail through a Web browser.
Wireless LAN Service for colleges and departments
- how to use, create, or enhance wireless services.
Wireless networking services
- wireless services at Penn State.
- Web-based hosting system for University academic, administrative, and financial management processes, especially those involving review approval needs.
Z39.50 Server Description
- information necessary to configure a Z39.50 client for accessing the University's online catalog.